Thursday, February 15, 2007

1 Thessalonians 2

Last night at bible study we had an awesome time, it normally is awesome but it was partiularly awesome last night. Last week we started looking at 1 Thessalonians, last night we got to 1 Thessalonians 2.

Paul continues to remind the Thessalonians that is isn't about him, it's about God, that it isn't about pleasing men, it's about pleasing God. I think that it is so easy for me to always think, it's about me, it's about doing what I please and what is pleasing to me. What can I do for me!!!!! But oh no this passage and Paul's example shows us that it isn't about us at all. It is all about God, about living for him, pleasing him and giving him the glory.

Even though Paul wasn't with the Thessalonians very long, a deep admiration and love between him and the Thessalonians had developed, he cared very much for them, and particularly for their relationship with God. What an example he was for them the Thessalonians, and for us too.

Two of the verses that stuck out for me from this passage were:

"For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory." 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12

This is my prayer, that as we meet together at church, at work, in bible study or even socially that we would be people who encourage each other, comfort each other in times of need and that we would urge and spur each other on to live lives that are pleasing to God and worthy of God.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Just discovered your blog. Hi! :-)

Tracy said...

That's a great reminder. Thanks.