Friday, August 17, 2007

new zealand here we come

16 more sleeps until we go to New Zealand and I am most definitely counting down the days!

Soooo a couple of weeks ago we booked our flights and most of our trip to New Zealand and I cannot wait!

We leave Australia on in on 2nd Sept and fly to Christchurch where we have a couple of hours lay over before catching a flight to Queenstown, we will be spending 7 nights in Queenstown... It looks so breathtakingly beautiful!! We have planned a couple of trips while we are there:

- Milford Sounds - we have planned a day trip to Milford Sounds, we leave Queenstown and take a coach trip to Milford Sounds where we will get on a boat and see the spectacular views. It's a full day trip but it will be awesome. I can't wait to take some pictures! We also get a picnic lunch -Yay!

- We are hopefully going to ski for maybe 2 or 3 days while we are in Queenstown, we are going to see what the snow is like when we get there and then book a few days skiing and ski hire.

- If we get chance I would also like to go and visit Wanaka - Shania Twain has a house there apparently, a friend told me that - don't know how they know that! This is about an hour out of Queenstown so we might be able to take a day trip there.

We leave Queenstown (we have hired a car for the second week) and head to do a Fox Glacier hike. We are going to go on a 4 hour hike which I am a bit nervous about but I think it will be fun fun fun! And how often do you get to go walking on glaciers?? Errr like not very often! We spend the night there and then we start our driving week.

For the second week we plan on 'making it up' as we go, see where we end up. We want to end up in Auckland at the end of the holiday as this is where we fly out of, so there will be a fair bit of driving involved to get all the way up there. We will have to get the Interislander Ferry from Picton to Wellington to go from the South Island to the North Island.

The plan next is to either go to New Plymouth (where our friend's parents have a farm - I would like to see them) or go to Rotorua, apparently the drive to Rotorua is a lot more interesting and at Rotorua they have Geysers, Mineral Baths, Lakes and lots of wonderful things BUT we only have two weeks and we can't do EVERYTHING so we need to make a choice about that.

We hope to end up meeting up with one of my our dear friends who was one of my house mates in London, she is a Kiwi and lives in Auckland and so we hope to hang out with her for a day or two.. It is her family that live in New Plymouth..

Anyhoo, I am very excited as this is our first 'just the two of us' holiday since our honeymoon - and you know on honeymoon you need to relax after organising and planning a wedding and also if like me you got sick - then it's not much fun! So yay for holidays. We are really ready for it but not too many more sleeps to go!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's pretty much the exact trip my parents made last year. they LOVED it.

have fun
x
soph

Priscilla said...

It all sounds so fun!!

Unknown said...

I found your Blog via Larissa, and thought I'd comment on this.

It does sound like a great trip :-)

I have to admit, I'm a little biased, being a Kiwi, now living in Australia.

Wanaka is actually not at all far from Queenstown, and qute a lovely drive too.

Fi and I honeymooned in NZ, and while in Queenstown we went up to the Dart River, and did an awesome jet boat trip, which if you have time would be fun to do.

Anyway, I am sure that you will have a refreshing and relaxing time.

Nixter said...

Thanks Duncan I am very keen to do that jet boat trip - it most certainly sounds like my kind of fun..

Thanks for the top tips ;)

Unknown said...

No worries. Yeah, I found the Dart River my kind of thing too -(its not as much of an adrenalin rush as the Shotover.. more relaxed but you have a few 360s thrown in). :)