Thursday, December 06, 2007

compassion

I have sponsored a Compassion child for about 3 years or so now, and I love it!

I receive pictures, drawings, letters from 'Joko' who is in Indonesian. A group at church chose to sponsor 10 children from the same village with the hope of maybe one day going to visit our sponsor children. I also get a new 'official compassion' picture and update each year, I just received mine in the mail a few days again. Joko is getting so big, he looks so little in the first picture we have of him...

Compassion is a great idea and a real opportunity to help our brothers and sisters in Christ who live in countries not as privileged as ours. The thing I love most about Compassion is that it is 'Christ-centred, Child-focused and Church-based, these kids regular attend Sunday school, they run vocational bible school in the holidays which Joko attends and he tells me about it in letters. They seem to get together a lot at the 'project' where they get to do Christian activities and games, all of these things are linked with the local church in the community that Joko and his family live. Click here to find out more about what Compassion do.

Friends of mine have sponsored children for their own children, what a great way to teach your children to care and love others, they also write each others letters and draw each other pictures. I think I would like to do this for our niece when she gets a little bit older..

I really recommend this program, it's a joy to receive letters and pictures from Joko and to also write to him, it's a privilege to be able to contribute to a family in need, but most of all it's amazing to know that through this program this little boy and his family are finding out more about our Lord and Saviour, not only are their physical needs being met but most importantly their spiritual needs are also being met.

I pray that Joko grows up to be a man of God, to know, love and fear the Lord with all his heart, mind, body and soul...

5 comments:

kristina said...

I used to sponsor a girl in Honduras until she left the program. I think her family moved. I really like Compassion. Thanks for reminding me, maybe I will do it again.

Anonymous said...

"Friends of mine have sponsored children for their own children, what a great way to teach your children to care and love others, they also write each others letters and draw each other pictures."

Thanks, this is a good idea. I might consider this for my own children.

Nixter said...

No problem - let me know what you guys decide.

it's a great thing to be a part of...

Priscilla said...

I sponsor a little boy named Joseph. He lives in Kenya. Before that, I sponsored another boy there. I sponsored him for many years and now he is enrolled in a University. He wrote me a letter when he was leaving the program to go to University saying that we made it possible for him.

It is a great program.

junglemama said...

It's a wonderful thing. :)